No matter what Democrats tell you, less than 9% of their massive $1.9 trillion bill goes towards defeating the virus. That means the other 91% of the monstrosity of a bill is focused on billions and billions of dollars that have nothing to do with actually defeating the virus.
Stop calling it a "COVID Relief" plan. A better name would be "The Pelosi Payoff." pic.twitter.com/YLEwvbakJE
— Kevin McCarthy (@GOPLeader) February 25, 2021
That’s why Rep. Tom Reed (NY-23) introduced the “Crush The Virus” Act – to specifically address defeating COVID.
Unfortunately, 217 House Democrats BLOCKED consideration of his legislation by advancing the Previous Question.
Specifically, the bill provides:
- $8.5 billion to CDC to plan, prepare, administer and track COVID-19 vaccines
- $11.5 billion for research, development, manufacturing, and production of vaccines, therapeutics, and medical supplies to respond to the COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2
- $50 billion to detect, diagnose, trace and monitor SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 infections
- $30 billion for the Federal Emergency Management Agency Disaster Relief Fund to respond to major disasters
- $5 billion to purchase and distribute medical supplies related to COVID-19 pandemic mitigation efforts
- $5 billion to manufacture and distribute personal protective equipment (PPE) to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- $15 billion for Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) to procure and stockpile vaccines, therapeutics, and medical products to prevent and respond to SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19
- $35 billion for the Provider Relief Fund, $7 billion of which will go to rural hospitals
- $1.75 billion to support mental health services
- $1.75 billion to support treatment of substance use disorders
Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (OH-16) delivered remarks in support of this commonsense legislation:
.@RepAGonzalez delivers remarks in support of @RepTomReed's "Crush The Virus" bill:
"This is a targeted solution that can garner bipartisan support, unlike what we’re doing today, and show the American people that we are committed to working together to defeat this virus." pic.twitter.com/I2TzwrLJ8b
— Mark Bednar (@MarkBednar) February 27, 2021
“This is legislation that is based off of the Problem Solvers Caucus endorsed framework for additional funding in order to defeat the virus by making further investments into testing, vaccine distribution, PPE, and utilizing the Defense Production Act.”
“This is a targeted solution that can garner bipartisan support, unlike what we’re doing today, and show the American people that we are committed to working together to defeat this virus.”
Let me make a finer point and a broader appeal to my colleagues on the other side of the aisle. The American people sent to Washington the slimmest House majority in quite some time and an evenly split Senate. The message that they sent was clear.”
“Let me make a finer point and a broader appeal to my colleagues on the other side of the aisle. The American people sent to Washington the slimmest House majority in quite some time and an evenly split Senate. The message that they sent was clear.
“It was not that you have some broad mandate to jam down a bunch of progressive policies.
“It was that they actually want us to work together. To come together and solve the problems in a bipartisan way. I think the message was clear, and the more the majority ignores it the shorter their majority will be.”
It’s shameful that Democrats would rather stand with Pelosi’s Payoff bill than actually focus on defeating the virus.